Welcome to Source for Science, the official podcast series of the Society of Family Planning. This series will cover the latest in abortion and contraception science and clinical care.
Emergency preparedness: Clinical recommendations for emergency contraception
June 1, 2023
In the latest episode of the Society’s podcast, Source for Science, Jennifer Salcedo, MD, MPH, MPP; Kelly Cleland, MPA, MPH; Ivana Thompson, MD, MSCI; and Nikita Kakkad discuss best practices in the provision of emergency contraception (EC), how healthcare providers support access to EC, and recommendations for addressing current barriers to care.
- Society of Family Planning Clinical Recommendation: Emergency Contraception
- American Society for Emergency Contraception informational guide for pharmacy staff
- American Society for Emergency Contraception (ASEC) report on EC access in pharmacies
- Commentary in Contraception on the urgency of EC in the post-Dobbs era and solutions for access
- ACES’ Emergency Contraception for Every Campus program
- ASEC mechanism of action of levonorgestrel EC fact sheet
- EC efficacy and body weight fact sheet
- UK Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare comprehensive guidelines on EC
In their hands: Advancing self-administration of DMPA
December 5, 2022
This episode features Anitra Beasley, MD, MPH; Sadia Haider, MD, MPH; and Jennifer Karlin, MD, PhD discussing the benefits of supporting self-administration of DMPA, the practical ways clinicians can offer their support, and how clinicians can overcome common challenges for supporting self-administration of DMPA.
- Society of Family Planning committee consensus on self-administration of subcutaneous depot medroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA-SC)
- NCTCFP: User-administration of subcutaneous depot medroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA-SC)
- NFPRHA: Self-administration of injectable contraception
- IERH: “This is How I Teach” DMPA-SC video
- RHAP: Depo-Provera Sub-Q User Guide
- Bedsider: Depo SubQ: The do-it yourself birth control shot
Clinician perspectives on self-managed abortion
July 13, 2022
This episode features Nisha Verma, MD, MPH, FACOG; Sarah Prager, MD, MAS; and Tania Serna, MD with a discussion of clinician experiences with self-managed abortion. Our expert faculty explores the role that clinicians can play in interacting with patients who have chosen to self-manage their abortion, and strategies for ensuring equitable abortion access both in and outside of the formal healthcare system.
- Society of Family Planning interim clinical recommendations: Self-managed abortion
- Repro Legal Helpline from If/When/How
July 6, 2022
Trailer episode for Source for Science, the official podcast series of the Society of Family Planning.