DISCOVER Stay up to date with scientific and clinical developments in family planning through our journal Contraception and at the Society of Family Planning Annual Meeting.
CONNECT Meet others focused on family planning, make valuable connections, and establish new collaborations. Explore our online membership directory. Network with scholars from multiple disciplines, clinicians with a variety of specialties, advocates, and others at our Annual Meeting.
ENGAGE Volunteer to join the Board, serve on a Committee, review grant proposals, or evaluate Annual Meeting presentation submissions. Join us at our Annual Meeting to share your ideas about our shared future work.
GROW Receive mentorship from established leaders in our field or serve as a mentor to emerging scholars invested in family planning. Participate in our annual career development workshop. Post job opportunities to our job board and access an ever-growing listing of available positions in the family planning field.
SAVE Subscribe to the journal Contraception at no cost. Receive significantly reduced registration fees to the Society of Family Planning Annual Meeting. Obtain discounted membership to the European Society of Contraception and Reproductive Health.
RALLY Be an agent of change by serving as a Society of Family Planning delegate to other academic organizations and meetings.
Members of the Society of Family Planning are united by a vision of just and equitable abortion and contraception, informed by science. If you share this vision, have a demonstrated interest in conducting or leveraging family planning research, and are in good professional standing, we hope you will join us and become a member today.
There are three primary categories of membership:
- Junior Fellow
- Full Fellow
- Affiliate Fellow
To be considered for membership as a Junior Fellow, an applicant must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled in a graduate degree program (e.g., MD, MPH, PhD);
- Currently participating in a post-graduate training program (e.g., residency, fellowship); or
- Completion of graduate degree or training program within the past five years.
Junior Fellow status can begin during a graduate or post-graduate program or within five years of completion of the program.
Annual dues: $200
This category is for individuals who are involved in family planning work and who currently do not meet Junior or Full Fellow requirements.
To be considered for membership as an Affiliate Fellow, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Does not meet publication requirements to become a Junior or Full Fellow;
- Not currently enrolled in a graduate degree program (eg, MD, MPH, PhD); and
- Not currently participating in a post-graduate training program (eg, residency, or fellowship).
Annual dues: $200
To be considered for membership as a Full Fellow, an applicant must meet both the authorship and presentation of knowledge requirements:
Authorship: one of the following:
- Minimum of three original research articles related to family planning or sexual and reproductive health in peer-reviewed journals, at least two as first author; or
- Minimum of two articles and one academic book chapter, all three as first author.
Presentation of knowledge: one of the following:
- Minimum of one scientific abstract, oral or poster, at the Society of Family Planning Annual Meeting or North American Forum on Family Planning, prior to applying for membership as a Full Fellow; or
- 15 publications in family planning or sexual and reproductive health to be submitted to and reviewed by the Membership Committee and the SFP board to judge whether the scholarly work supports induction of the Fellow.
Annual dues: $400
Apply here to become a member.
Existing members can pay dues can be paid by logging in here. Annual dues are as follows:
- Junior Fellow: $200
- Full Fellow: $400
- Affiliate Fellow: $200
Reduced fees for membership are available to Full Fellows who are either:
- In good standing, retired, and employed less than 50% time as a physician or researcher.
- In good standing, not trained as an MD or DO, lacking institutional support for membership dues, and having a salary of $100,000 or less.
If you meet criteria for reduced fee membership, please contact us at Info@SocietyFP.org.